Reading Topshop death: Boy dies after 'store furniture incident'

Reading Topshop death: Boy dies after 'store furniture incident'

OracleImage copyright

Image caption

The boy was taken to hospital after suffering serious head injuries

A Topshop store where a 10-year-old boy was fatally injured by a store display barrier is set to remain closed for “some time”.

The child sustained serious head injuries at the Oracle Centre in Reading at 16:15 GMT on Monday. The incident is expected to be referred to the Health and Safety Executive.

Thames Valley Police said the boy’s death was being treated as unexplained but non-suspicious.

Officers remain at the scene.

Image caption

A police officer and security guard remained at the scene on Tuesday

On Tuesday police said the boy was from Reading and that officers were supporting his family.

Det Supt Paul Hayles said: “We continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding this death, a scene watch is in place at the Topshop store and is likely to be in place for some time.

“Detectives are now working with the local authority and the store owners to gather all of the information on how this incident happened.”

A bunch of flowers was left by a passer-by against the shop’s closed shutters.

A card, which was unsigned, read: “RIP little man. To the family. Please take home if you wish x.”

At the scene: BBC Radio Berkshire reporter Chris Browning

The Topshop store on the upper level of the Oracle Centre is still cordoned off.

There are security guards and police outside. Officers have been here all night and remain on site to continue their investigations.

Ordinarily the shop would have opened its doors at 09:30 GMT but a member of staff here has told me me it will stay closed all day.

Image caption

The store will stay closed all day

South Central Ambulance Service said three ambulances and a rapid response vehicle were sent to the scene, on what was the first day of the half-term holiday for school pupils in Berkshire.

The boy, who was found in a life-threatening condition, was taken to the Royal Berkshire Hospital but later died.

Police said his next of kin had been informed and that further inquiries would take place.

Reading Borough Council confirmed it is launching an investigation alongside police.

The Health and Safety Executive said it was not yet involved.

A date for a post-mortem examination has not yet been set.

Live updates on this and other Berkshire stories.

Image copyright
Ryan Sheehan

Image caption

Thames Valley Police said further inquiries would take place

Source: BBC – UK News

Please follow and like us: